Before proceeding to a small presentation about different types of plants you should be aware that they cannot be combined randomly because each plant has its needs (light, temperature, PH), also some plants have no place with some fish because they will eat the plants.
Depending on their constitution aquarium plants can be divided into the following categories
• Mosses, fixed on stone or wood with a fishing line. Mosses are highly appreciated by shrimps and juvenile fish because are great hiding place. The most popular are Cladophora aegagrophila (Ball moss), Versicularia Dubyana (Java Moss), Vesicularia Montagnei (Christmas Moss), Taxiphyllum sp. Flame (Flame moss) and Riccia fluitans.
• Rootless plants, these plants need to be fixed on stones or wood with a fishing line.
• Rooted plants or bulbs, this type of plants usually grow very much and have faster growth, in the same time usually have large leaves.
• Floating plants, these plants have the bottom part in water while the leaves grow on the water`s surface. Floating plants are highly appreciated by juvenile fish. Popular floating plants are Limnobium laevigatum and Salvinia natans.
Plants can also be divided according to their size and the place it will occupy in the aquarium
• Foreground plants, most popular foreground plants are Glossostigma elatinoides, Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba", Eleocharis sp. Mini, Utricularia graminifolia, Marsilea hirsuta.
• Middle ground plants, most popular middle ground plants are: Rotala macrandra Japan, Hygrophila Araguaia, Vallisneria asiatica, Anubias barteri, Rotala Indica, Rotala Rotundifolia, Staurogyne repens.
• Background plants, most popular background plants are: Vallisneria gigantea, Cabomba caroliniana, Egeria densa, Bacopa caroliniana, Ammania gracilis, Pogostemon Erectus, Limnophila sessiliflora, Proserpinaca palustris Cuba.
When purchasing a plant, wash it very well with tap water, be careful to not induce heat shock, use water at room temperature.
I recommend using tap water because it contains chlorine which kills bacteria, snails, spores, various diseases that are on plants. Once I made the mistake of not washing the plants and soon I had snails in my aquarium and I had to buy some Botia fish to destroy all the snails.