Hemianthus callitrichoides is commonly known as "CUBA" or “dwarf baby tears” and is one of the most popular plants for foreground, shortly after planting Hemianthus callitrichoides will create a green carpet highly appreciated by aquarists.
Hemianthus callitrichoides was discovered by Holger Windelov, founder of Tropica, in Cuba and since its introduction in 2003 has become highly appreciated among aquarists.
Hemianthus callitrichoides is very small, the leaves are about 1 mm and because of that a Hemianthus callitrichoides carpet must be trimmed quite often otherwise the bottom of the carpet will rot.
Hemianthus callitrichoides is a demanding plant and to do well needs a lot of light, CO2 and quality fertilizers.
Hemianthus callitrichoides it is very used in the iwagumi style because in contrast with the stones creates a very pleasant impression.
Look how Hemianthus callitrichoides “CUBA” grew in 30 days
Here are some tips to grow Hemianthus callitrichoides “CUBA”:
• Substrate: ADA Amazonia Soil with Amazonia Powder spread over the substrate, the layer of Amazonia Powder should have a height of 1,0 – 1,5 cm.
• Water: - Hemianthus callitrichoides likes cold water 22-24 °C.
- Soft water
- Frequent changes, at least once a week.
• CO2: For this plant to grow well you will need a lot of CO2, because “CUBA” grows at the substrate level you have to be sure that you have plenty CO2 at that level. To dissolve CO2 in water I recommend using an external reactor.
From what I`ve noticed Hemianthus callitrichoides likes liquid co2 and on the market you find Easy Life and Seachem Excel.
• Planting: The pots of Hemianthus callitrichoides “CUBA” must be split very well, in this way you will have shortly a very nice carpet of CUBA.
• Lighting: Hemianthus callitrichoides need a lot of light, in this case fits "The more the better", also the lighting hours should be long but you have to know that long lighting hours also includes more CO2 and more fertizilization. I recommend 0,7 - 0,8 W/liter.
• Cleaning: Amano shrimps are highly recommended for aquariums with Hemianthus callitrichoides.